Debate & Discussion
Glossary
Link to Us
Spread the Word
Trailer
The Press
Buy The BookForumTell a FriendBuy the DVD
Buy the DVDLink to UsNews CoverageBuy The Book
Home » Forum » Archeology of Jesus » Can the reburied bones still be recovered?
Hello, guest
Name: Dennis  •  Title: Can the reburied bones still be recovered?  •  Date posted: 03/05/07 18:24
Q: The film said that the bones from the ossuaries were removed and reburied somewhere.

I would assume that _some_ record of where the bones were reburied was kept. And it would seem rather silly that they not be reburied with _some_ identification on them.

Afterall, if the ancients went to the trouble to label the ossuaries' contents, one would hope that the people reburying the bones would have done so as well.

Dennis 
Your Answer:
  <<< Login required    |
Name: eblondet  •  Date: 03/06/07 4:15
A: Before I saw the documentary, I got the book, as I was aware that all the
information could not be fit into 2 hours including commercials.

OK here it goes, to answer to everyone's question

The Jesus Family Tomb: The Discovery, the Investigation and the Evidence That Could Change History. Jacobivici & Pellegrino
February 2007 Harper San Francisco
ISBN 9780061192029

Page 23, First full paragraph of the page..

Timeline ....sometime between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, 1980

"By the time Rivka Maoz entered the red chamber, one ossuary had gone missing, and nine surviving ossuaries were stored in one of the IAA's suburban warehouses. The three skulls from the main chamber, the bones from the antechamber, and all the skulls and bones from the inside the ossuaries, including any loose fragments from the "Jesus, son of Joseph" ossuary, were poured out and set aside for temporary study. According to an understanding between the archaeologists and the rabis, the bones would eventually be turned over to the religious authorities for reburial. There were several large graves reserved locally for the purpose of "respectfully reinterment of ancient human remains"

I hope this answers you questions about the bones. 
Name: inquiringminds  •  Date: 03/06/07 8:55
A: I have the same question as Dennis. Is it possible to dig up the buried bones of Jesus and his family? That would help the investigation immensly. There is no mention on whether or not this was attempted. 
Name: Dennis  •  Date: 03/06/07 20:57
A: Can we start a petition drive for the IAA to seek recover those bones?

The story _either way_ has tremendous importance.

What if the bones of the Jesus showed that he was crucified? What if they did not?

Dennis 
Name: flywing  •  Date: 03/07/07 8:34
A: I agree with Dennis. Recovering the bones should be the next priority. Losing Jesus's bones would be indeed a regrettable thing. 
Name: pat7the7avenger  •  Date: 03/07/07 9:55
A: occording to roman "custom", the bones in the legs were broken to speed up the crusifixtion. But jesus was rather pierced in the side, in effect causing a prophecy from isiah to be fufill to the extent that the mesiah's bones would not be broken. pretty neat if they were found intact.
see alot of cool evidence may come to light that would aid the theoligy of christianity. and also more evidence that this is or is not Jesus familia tomb 
Name: Delyn  •  Date: 03/12/07 16:25
A: Eblondet:

From your post "There were several large graves reserved locally for the purpose of "respectfully reinterment of ancient human remains""

I would think at these sites they wouldn't have just dumped the bones in together, but would have marked who went where. Most people are horrified, and I think the Jews would be more than most because of the Nazis, at the idea of mass graves. 
Name: eblondet  •  Date: 03/18/07 14:17
A: To Delyn:

"I would think at these sites they wouldn't have just dumped the bones in together, but would have marked who went where. Most people are horrified, and I think the Jews would be more than most because of the Nazis, at the idea of mass graves."

I am just quoting directly from the book, I have no personal knowledge of this specific subject. 
Name: Jeff Zinsmeyer  •  Date: 03/20/07 3:00
A: Of course IAA knows where for whoever they rebury. The thing is this. We have DNA from the ossuary. Match it to the DNA on the Shroud and game over. The Shroud and face clothe, which also has DNA, are authentic. The forensic pollen tests prove it conclusively and are, unlike the carbon dating, undisputed.

The odds of that happening are about the same as the cluster 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 03/31/07 15:14
A: I'm surprised that these remains have not been added to the churches' relic collection.I guess they are waiting for verification.Finding the tomb puts a new perspective on the myths,legends and The New Testament and raises more questions.At least it answers one of them but creates another:Will there be a new shrine? 
Name: light  •  Date: 04/05/07 0:50
A: Not unless people start going there on their own. I don't think the church will be adding anything to anything. They're too invested in the customs and teachings they already use. 
Name: Nate  •  Date: 06/28/07 7:41
A: Jeff, you're weirdly mistaken on the authenticity of the shroud of Turin, but if it helps your feeble faith, so be it.

Nate 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 07/21/07 15:26
A: The Church never allowed the Turin Shroud to be tested .but a material fragment found in Jesus's ossuary was tested.The DNA results were published in the book-The Jesus Family Tomb. 
Name: eirini_cy  •  Date: 08/07/07 8:50
A: Im sure when the initial inspection occurred the bones would have been drawn, photographed or something

So why werent they in the movie? hmm....maybe the bones in some of the ossuarys were from children or did not support the 'Theory of the tomb belonging to Jesus' family". Its a little suspicious... 
Name: gnostic knowledge  •  Date: 09/30/07 20:20
A: unfortunately ,I doubt that.A having done reburials in n. america ,usually a holy person from the culture would preform a ceramony & they would be buried together. 
Name: bbsmommy  •  Date: 10/27/07 19:46
A: Several things come to my mind.

1. Those bones should be buried together and documented as to have come from a particular tomb.... otherwise, the IAA should be ashamed of themselves!

2. The Shroud of Turin and the Headcloth have been tested as both having AB bloodtype, and I've always wondered why further DNA testing hasn't been done on those samples. Perhaps the caretakers of the Headcloth would be more inclined to testing than the Shroud, after the fiasco from the international testing of the Shroud.... oh, well...

3. They did DNA testing on remnants from Mariamne's and Jesus' ossuaries only, able to extract the mitochondrial DNA only so.... Why not test Maria's (Mary's) to prove absolutely she's his mother!! And testing the child's DNA would have the mitochondrial DNA from all three, Jesus, Mary and Mariamne.

I mean, if one is to really get serious about studying these matters, these are HUGE holes in the research.

Thank you! 
Name: MCS  •  Date: 11/11/07 10:18
A: YES, I'm begening to doubt that the reburied bones really exists. Testing them would solve all the questions about the people buried ther were relatives. Mother, Son, Daugter, etc..

Read MCS at the Slamdering Jesus Forum 
Name: Anchorite  •  Date: 02/02/08 0:41
A: THIS IS A COMMERCIAL OPERATION

Final conclusions cut off the money. 
Name: Bazille  •  Date: 02/28/08 1:01
A: I hope they didn't just chuck the bones away. First of all because of the DNA testing, but also because it would be possible to reconstruct the face of our Saviour and the entire family. Some may argue the ridiculousness of this point I'm making, but then be honest to yourselves we all wonder what he really looked like.
I agree with Dennis, the IAA should be persuaded to hand all remains over. I don't think their statement of reburial for religious reasons has got a leg to stand on, if on the other hand the build upon their dead. Perhaps Dennis is right and we should start a petition on the grounds that Christians have the right to know. 
Name: Bazille  •  Date: 02/28/08 1:21
A: @ pat7the7avenger:
The 'custom' of breaking the legs of a condemned victim was performed, because of the burial laws of jews. If I recall correctly, they had to be buried before dark and breaking the legs would remove the support from the body and lead to suffucation. In the case Jesus this wasn't necessary, as he was already dead and that was tested by stabbing him. So you won't find broken leg bones. 

Jesus of Nazareth Mary Magdalene: Mariamne Early Christianity
Copyright 2024© Jesusfamilytomb.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

Design and Marketing by TalMor Media

Link To Us Spread The Word Debate and Discussion Buy DVD