Debate & Discussion
Glossary
Link to Us
Spread the Word
Trailer
The Press
Buy The BookForumTell a FriendBuy the DVD
Buy the DVDLink to UsNews CoverageBuy The Book
Home » Forum » General Discussions » "Gammadia" and the Talpiot Tomb.
Hello, guest
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Title: "Gammadia" and the Talpiot Tomb.  •  Date posted: 03/24/07 9:29
Q: Based upon the statistical analysis outlined in the book "The Jesus Family Tomb", it seems to me that the Talpiot tomb may very well have belonged to the family of the Savior.

Furthermore, I suspect that the early followers of Jesus (the "carpenter" or" Master Craftsman") might (naturally) have elevated the working tools of His profession, into sacred symbols.

Therefore (perhaps) it was not the fish or even the cross that were the earliest emblems of their discipleship; rather, it just MIGHT have been the Compass or the Square or the Plumb or Gauge that were venerated. After all, these were the tools used by their master!!

In support of this argument, I would call your attention to those curious decorations known as "Gammadia"
(for their resemblance to the greek letter "gamma")which are so often found on early jewish and christian clothing and altar clothes.

Despite the continuing debate as to their possible significance, the fact remains that the classic "gammadia" is an "L" shaped marking (rather like a carpenters "square").

In some of the earliest christian artwork it is often found painted on the robes of the apostles or saints.

Whatever the "Chevron" at the tomb turns out to be, it certainly DOES resemble (at least superficially) a builders implement, and may be connected to the use of "gammadia" by the earliest Christians.

I believe this bears further investigation. 
Your Answer:
  <<< Login required    |
Name: sadinoel  •  Date: 03/24/07 17:45
A: You should know that the statistical sample was flawed to produce the results that they needed to pump up this bogus claim.

There won't be further investigation since the entire academic community is basically in agreement that this whole thing is a sham.

You should learn to be more critical minded and cross check facts instead of buying into the flavor of the day hype. 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 03/25/07 0:14
A: To sadinoel:

I did not say that the statistical analysis outlined in the book was flawless; nor did I suggest that further refinement was not possible. it does, however seem to me that the tomb "MAY VERY WELL have belonged to the family of the Savior."

There's no PROOF either way; I DO find Simcha's arguments to be very compelling though.

You have referred to his book/documentary as a "bogus claim". You are now under obligation to prove your case.

Futhermore -

You've said that the "ENTIRE academic community" agrees that his story ("the WHOLE thing") is a "sham"; you do not allow for even a SINGLE dissenting opinion. Consequently, if I find even ONE who admits that there MAY be some truth behind Simcha's findings, then I have proven you wrong!

Having a "critical" mind SHOULD NOT mean having a closed mind.

Your admonition to "cross check facts" is wise. Such cross-checking is usually an open-ended process, rarely resulting in one final sweeping scientific decree of "CASE CLOSED" . 
Name: betty47  •  Date: 03/25/07 1:25
A: This tomb may not be bogus. It's fanatical Christians who don't want to believe this could be the real Jesus that could be shown to be bogus. They jumped immediately to say this movie was false. All the people who say scholars don't believe this are using the same talking points. Jesus was poor, Jesus wasn't from Jerusalem, Simcha wants money, etc., etc. Those claims are probably bogus. There are scholars who are brave and are standing up to support what a reasonable person will probably conclude, which is, that this could be the Jesus family tomb, which proves that Jesus did not rise in bodily form to heaven. Christians will have to adapt and amend their religion to deal with this fact which in time, may possibly be proven true. Not enough research has been done to say one way or another what this tomb represents. Time will tell. However, it would be nice if there was some sort of update by the makers of this film as to what is happening with the situation now. Where are the bones that were in these coffins? When will more DNA testing be done? They made an extraordinary claim that this is the Jesus Family Tomb. People want more answers. 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 03/25/07 3:42
A: To Betty47:
While I agree in principle with much of what you say regarding the tomb and its detracters, your statement that this could 'PROVE' that "Jesus did not rise in bodily form to heaven", does not inevitably follow. The existance of a Jesus ossuary, minus bones only demonstrates that an ossurary was prepared for his burial, not that it was used.

It's true, that DNA was collected from the Jesus ossuary; but that COULD have been (as Charles Pellegrino has already conceded) collected from the remains of a bloody shroud.

In fact, minute particles of a shroud WERE found, together with traces of wood. As for bone matter, I've not yet heard it positively asserted that any was found in the Jesus ossuary. In fact, Mr. Pellegrino (if memory serves me) asserted that HE did NOT find ANY.

At any rate, I agree that many Christians (I am one myself), have bitterly denounced this amazing discovery, without a fair hearing of the facts.

Simply put, nobody (ESPECIALLY Christians) should ever be afraid of the truth. As Christians, all we are REQUIRED to believe IS the truth. Nothing else.

It's a fact however, that a discovery of this magnitude COULD shatter many traditions (such as the unscriptural belief that Jesus COULD NOT have been married; OR that His mother remained a perpetual virgin); but those are the traditions of men and are nowhere found in scripture.

As you very nicely put it, "time will tell'. 
Name: betty47  •  Date: 03/26/07 2:16
A: Yes, Mark. You made a wise clarification. Thank you. 
Name: garysmplsmn  •  Date: 03/27/07 22:57
A: sadinoel:

Do you have an alternate statistical analysis you would point us to? I am not a statistician, but it seems that many of the assumptions used by the research team were valid. Even if they were off by a factor of 100, the odds would still be at least 6 to 1 in favor of this being the tomb of the family of Jesus. That would be pretty good odds in a horse race, and billions of people have wagered a lot more on a lot lower odds that the orthodox version of events is valid.

I think your reaction is typical of an institution threatened that its position of power over people's lives may be undermined by science. The Catholic Church persecuted Galileo and other scientific researchers in the same way. But, who do we believe today? The Church or astronomers? Let the scientific (not necessarily "academic") community evaluate the validity of the research before summarily pronouncing it a sham. 
Name: Anchorite  •  Date: 03/28/07 5:03
A: Certification of fact is fruitful. The rigor of science is fruitful. Fruit has poise.
As far as I can tell, the discovers have made every effort to apply certification, and rigor. And they show poise. Whilst many many opponents show hostility. Deep beauty, vs senseless venom. Choose. 
Name: Eagle  •  Date: 03/28/07 5:56
A: I think people should get back to the topic. Gammadia, right? I did a little searching on the web and found quite a few sites covering this -- and these were sites that go back a few years -- not all about the Talpot tomb. It seems to me that the decoration could be a type of gammadia, rather like the "compass" of the Masons. 
Name: Eagle  •  Date: 03/28/07 6:30
A: I did a little more looking and found that the inverted "V" with the little twist at the top really looks exactly like an Aramaic letter "Gamal". It does not look like the Hebrew letter Gamal. But then wasn't Aramaic the language of the time, not Hebrew? It certainly looks more like the Aramaic Gamal than it does like the top of the Roman temple. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_alphabet. 
Name: Anchorite  •  Date: 03/28/07 15:42
A: The Chevron and Circle, or Tomb Symbol.

Here is my effort to get back on topic.

Carl G. Liungman, in his Dictionary of Symbols, explains what is an ideogram. My distillation is this. It is a graphic design inspired by how an idea works.

The tomb symbol, may make use of letters, and ideas associated with letters, but it is a top-notch device for cutting through endless words.

The V? Heaven, the father, the mystery, the source, the unknowable, will, destiny, truth, the good, etc.

The O? The world, the rendering onto Caesar, sense, rules, knowledge, time, space, self-interest, etc.

Their conjunction? The idea that the mystery precedes and gives rise to the reality. The O comes down from the V.

It is an exploitation of letter forms, but what it really is, is the core tenet, deliverable. 
Name: Anchorite  •  Date: 03/29/07 4:03
A: I have since found a picture of an ossuary with a wishbone for a lid handle and some rings as decorations. Looks mundane. I think I got carried away. Sorry folks. 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 04/08/07 10:52
A: I'd like to bring this post back to the topic of the "Cheveron" and it's possible relationship to the daily working tools of Christ the "Carpenter"'; AND the relationship of those tools to the "Gammadia" markings found on the clothing of early Christians (and Jews).

To me, the "Chevron" resembles a compass. Isaiah 44:13 identifies the compass as one of the primary tools of a carpenter.

What would be more natural, than for Jesus the carpenter and son (as it was supposed) of a carpenter, than to have his own families tomb decorated with an emblem of the family profession??

Again, what would be more natural, than for his disciples to adopt that emblem (and perhaps others associated with building) as sacred symbols of their faith???? Perhaps even to the point of having them embroidered upon certain articles of clothing?!?!? 
Name: Anchorite  •  Date: 04/10/07 1:50
A: Without any foregone conclusion, the most likely explanation for the use of the chevron and circle would have to come from precedent. Merely from previous occurences.

If it represents something more particular then it depends on the designer.

If the designer was rather concrete-minded, then the compass would satisfy and inspire he or she.

But if the designer was attached to abstract qualities and HAPPENED to be a Jesus follower, then perhaps the symbols together represent Heaven and the advent of his Son.

The problem is that this last permutation is the most desirable, yet in the current state of evidence, one of low likelihood.

Desirability does not equal probability. 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 04/10/07 4:35
A: TO: Anchorite
I've gotta tell you, that I've read a number of your posts; frankly, most of them don't make much sense to me.

What is your point? 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/10/07 17:55
A: Looks to me like it means gamel teth in the aramaic alphabet.Gamel is the inverted V and teth is the circle.What does it translate to?At least it establishes that this was an Aramaic tomb.The cluster of names engraved on the ossuaries prove beyond the shadow of doubt in my mind that this the family of Jesus and their crypt.
@Mark Stilt:Anchorite writes very beautifully.I love the poems that have been contributed. 
Name: Anchorite  •  Date: 04/11/07 3:28
A: Dear Stilt,

Thank you for your feedback. Perhaps my posts will never add up for you. I appreciate your effort. Not so long ago, I would have rejected them myself.

Panluna, thanks yet again! I saw your Web site and I have deep respect for NDE. Your support is wondrous, since I've only experienced a little messy sporadic clairvoyance myself.

The poetry is driven by love of sound, of words, of tears. It is not science. It is heart.

This thread is about the letters that may have gone into the tomb symbol, myriad moons ago.

TWAS

Twas an once
When it was new
Had flavour of invention
But tick has tocked
The years have walked
Now it's a convention

~Anchorite 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 04/11/07 11:30

Again, I really don't mean to be rude, but I don't understand the point of what you are trying to do. Seems to me that most of your posts simply obfuscate the topic, rather than throwing more light upon it.

I really do appreciate poetry.......I simply don't understand the relevance of most of your posts to the issues at hand as expressed in my initial Post titled " "Gammadia" and the Talpiot Tomb".

Can you tell me something about Gammadia?? If so, please enlighten me. If not, then please learn something about them, and THEN come talk to me about it.

Do you think they might have a relationship to the working tools of a carpenter or of a Master Craftsman?? If so, how and why?? If NOT, please show me why you think I'm off base.

But to turn this into a poetry blog, just seems out of line.

If you have something to say, just come out and say it; but please make sure it has a concrete relationship with the topic at hand.

Perhaps you'd consider opening a post with the Topic: "Poetry relating to the Jesus Family Tomb", or some such thing. Heck, maybe I'd even contribute a line or two. 
Name: Anchorite  •  Date: 04/11/07 12:59
A: Hi Stilt,

I provide what I can. Since indirect information is not wanted I will carefully scan for your participation in a thread in order to suppress my own. 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/11/07 18:49
A: @Anchorite,
I don't have a website.Just an e-mail address.Maybe I should check this out.And your poetry is very inspiring.
Good thing I don't use my secret 2nd name on this blog or my real name. 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/11/07 19:07
A: NDE!!!!!! What a website.I did have an NDE but I never told anyone what I saw on the Otherside.Take my word for it:it was beautiful then I got sent back to this world. 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 04/12/07 1:26

I think you're misunderstanding me. As I said, I REALLY don't want to appear rude.

You mentioned a Carl G. Liungman and a Dictionary of Symbols. Perhaps you could tell me about the Man and the book. Maybe it's pertinent. 
Name: hayomtov8  •  Date: 04/12/07 17:58
A: HEY GUYS,

RELIGIOUS OR NOT ,BELIEVER OR UNBELIEVER, NATURALIST OR CREATIONIST.COME ON! YOU ARE NOT DOING YOUR HOME WORK . THIS IS A FORGERY! A HOAX ! ALL OF YOU WHO ARE SPEAKING IN FAVOR OF THIS FAKE FRAUDAULENT FIND ARE GOING TO HAVE EGG ON YOUR FACES!! THIS IS GOING TO END UP STRENGTHENING THE CHRISTIANS POSITION WATCH!!! IT IT IS A STRAW DOG FOR SURE. THERE ARE SO MANY RED FLAGS TO THE DISCRIMINATING MIND. MARK MY WORDS!! I PROMISE I WILL POST NO OTHER STATEMENTS UNTIL THAT DAY WHICH HAS ALREADY BEGUN . THE TRICKLE OF DETRACTIONS,RESHUFFLELING,RETRACTIONS WILL BECOME A RAGING RIVER!!!!! ON THAT DAY I WILL POST AGAIN,SO UNTIL THEN KEEP......(FILL IN THE BLANKS WITH WHAT EVER YOU CALL YOURSELVES DOING). 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 04/23/07 22:54
A: Once again, I want to direct this conversation BACK to the original topic of "Gammadia".

Has anybody out there researched these unusual markings AND considered their possible relationship with the Talpiot Tomb, Early Christian religious iconography, Operative Masonry/building AND Freemasonry????? 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/24/07 19:01
A: Hi Mark,
I did!! The letters can be found in the Aramaic alphabet and I did my own take on what it might mean under the topic "Any Wiccan or Pagan views?"I think Jesus may have been involved in metaphysic secrets taught to him when he lived in India. 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 04/25/07 2:05
A: Hi, Panluna -

Then you are a Wiccan/Pagan I presume? 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/25/07 14:19
Yes I am Wiccan.Christianity did not fullfill my expectations so nearly 20 years ago I became self-taught,self-initiated and I'm solitary.I am allowed to learn anything I want as long as I harm no one.I do include Jesus's teachings as well as ceremonies for the saints,the seasons,gods and goddesses and angels.But the most important aspects are working with the Angels,Spirit guides and the elements of nature.There are certain rules to be followed and I enjoy learning from all of the traditions.There are a lot of books but the two I mentioned in the Pagan/Wiccan topic are good representatives.I can also add :ASK YOUR ANGELS by Alma Daniels,THE REAL WITCHES YEAR by Kate West and HOW TO MEET AND WORK WITH SPIRIT GUIDES by Ted Andrews.I highly recommend reading these books if you want some general knowledge about my religion.You'll be surprized--it isn' t what everyone was led to believe it to be in the past.The fear and the misunderstandings that led to prejudice and murder left a stain on our history.The books are written by people knowledgable in the Spiritual/Metaphysics genre and have fantastic bibliographies for further study.I don't have any bad feelings against anyone's religion after all they are all in the interest of spiritual studies that influence humanity and guided us in our history on planet earth.Hopefully with a complete understanding there will be respect given to the followers of different beliefs and we can learn from each other.To Know,to understand and to accept are the first steps towards inner-peace. 
Name: Elizabeth  •  Date: 04/26/07 0:29

I'd like to offer my thoughts concerning the symbols on the tomb.

If this tomb is the authentic tomb of Jesus Christ and family...

It is possible that the inverted triangle with the circle (eye of God) within it represents the "all-seeing eye."
An important symbol of the Supreme Being. (Hebrew and Egyptian usage borrowed by Freemasons)
Both slants representing "The Father" and "Holy Ghost or Spirt" bridged together by the Son.
But that bridge is left open, representing the Son "literally" beneath it, bridging the three.
The trinity. (The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost)

During the crusades, it has been said that the crusaders would carry around the skulls of the saints- believing
they gave powers of protection. This could explain the skulls before the ossuaries.

If there were no bones found in the Jesus ossuary, but only residue in which DNA was extracted,
then perhaps that could help explain its smaller size compared to Mary's and the resurrection in which his body was missing.

I read where three US universities had tested DNA off the shroud in the 80s, although the strands were weak because of old age.

Simcha- if at all possible, perhaps it would be interesting to test the ossuary's DNA with the Shroud's.

Blessings, ED 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/26/07 1:38
A: Hi Elizabeth,
I asked the same question about testing the Shroud.On one of the other posts there is information on results.Also you can find the Aramaic alphabet on Wikipedia.You did put an interesting interpretation for the chevron and circle but the Holy Trinity is an early Catholic idea which was created several centuries after the crucifiction.It's a central theme of the Church's explaination for Christ's Divinity.I don't think it's a Christian symbol at all and the tomb proves otherwise since the ossuary culture existed for about a hundred years and was practised by Jesus's people then ended about 30 years after his death when they were wiped out by the Romans who had to put down a revolt.Also the remains of Jesus and his family were reburied in Isreal in a cemetary set aside for ancient citizens and they recieved a Hebrew service.There are alot of good points made all through the website and many opinions posted.I know the Tomb has great deal of impact and both the DVD and the book are very informative.Enjoy with bright blessings. 
Name: Elizabeth  •  Date: 04/26/07 2:21
A: Hi Panluna,

I understand the "trinity" concept is very difficult for many.

Matthew 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Blessings to you, ED 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/26/07 2:42
A: Elizabeth
Where the gospels written while Jesus was a live or after his death? I know the New Testament has been revised over the centuries and there were additions and some books removed from the scriptures but I believe the concept of the Holy Trinity was added at a later century to make the NT more plausible to constantly converting citizins wanting to believe in the miraculous.Jesus was Jewish actually an Ebionite and a Rabbi who was married and had a family.G-D came first with him and he held no idol including himself before that.It would go against the Old Testament teachings found in the Ten Commandments.The chevron and circle are not Christian marks.if anything they mark the family tomb and ossuaries.Have you read the book The Jesus Family Tomb? 
Name: JMD  •  Date: 04/26/07 3:32
A: Panluna - One of the books I recently started reading is a book a Wiccan friend of mine who I visited a couple weeks ago, insisted I read [I think their goal is to make me a witch...but the Gnostic Soul is just too much a part of me!] But, I respect the craft; and am a bit of a Pagan myself. [there are Pagan Gnostics after all].

I certainly like the balance of male/female, god/goddess, respect for nature and others, do no harm - in my opinion, it's a much more wholesome/balanced religion/spirituality than some of the other ones.

Anyway, the main point to all this ramble, is the book I was leant, and which I'm wondering if you've read, Panluna, is called: "What Witches Do: The Modern Coven Revealed" by Stewart Farrar. It was first published in 1971, revised edition 1983. It is an oldie but goodie, apparently. 
Name: Shlomo  •  Date: 04/26/07 4:40
A: Panluna,

Some scholars place the first gospel written 40 yrs after the death, just after 70 c.e. the destruction of the second temple. This may have been the impetus. 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 04/26/07 10:08
A: TO: Panluna

Hi.

I just got finished typing a note to Shlomo elsewhere, but wanted to get back with you before I go to bed.

I really appreciate your thoughtful response to my question. I'm sorta tired right now, 'cause it's late here in Hawaii, so I may not make much sense.

Anyway, I'll be interested in learning more about your religion, once I'm a little more alert. (I'm getting ready to hit the sack right now.)

You brought up Freemasonry. You should probably know, that I'm a Freemason.

I've taken up to my 32nd degree in the Scottish Rite AND all of the degrees available in the York Rite (with the exception of "honorary' degrees, such as the 'Red Cross of Constantine').

I mention these things ONLY to make it clear, that when and if any conversation takes a turn toward the direction of Freemasonry, I AM in a position to know something about it; AND can set people straight when they say something pertaining to Masonry that I KNOW is wrong!

Anyway, I'll get back with you again to continue our conversation. I have questions I'd like to ask you about your religion (if you don't mind).

Thanks,

Mark 
Name: Mark Stilt  •  Date: 04/26/07 10:14
A: TO: Elisabeth

Ditto, my response to Panluna (above).

(I'm REALLYYYYYYY tired)

Appreciate your thoughts and I DO realize that it was YOU who made the comment about FREEMASONRY.

(Did I mention that I AM REALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY tired??????)

TO: Panluna - My sincere apologies to you.

More later to you both.

Good night!!!

Sincerely

Mark 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/26/07 14:06
A: Mark,
Aloha! We were stationed in Hawaii from 1988 to 1991 and I would go there in a heart beat.I loved it.I'll be happy to learn more about the Freemasons.
Mahalo! 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/26/07 14:41
A: JMD,
The Ferrars were among the first group along with other Wiccan followers to come out in public in the sixties and seventies and worked to get Wicca legalized.Janet and Stewart are well respected and Stewart passed away a while ago.There are the books by Scot Cunningham and Raymond Buckland.Isn't it strange that the world's oldest religion wasn't recognised legally until the seventies?Only the US and England actually allow it without persacution.No one is trying to convert you.The Craft has a tendency to find the people who belong to it either by choice or hereditary.It found me and I love it.The first book I ever found and read in regards to it was written by Sybil Leek and titled DIARY OF A WITCH.But the one that got me drawn to it was called RAINBOWS FALLING ON MY HEAD by Al G.Manning and is about Pan-magick.Prior to the legalization my impression of the Craft was influenced by fairy tales and a TV show called BEWITCHED.And it's nothing like that at all.Believe me if I could teleport myself I would save alot of money in travel expenses and if I could zap up anything I want .....wouldn't be nice!!!!
Well I'm comfortable with Wicca despite my mortal limitations.And there is always something new to learn.I've yet to write my book . 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/26/07 14:51
A: Shlomo,
Thanks...I thought the gospels were written at a later date.It would have been too dangerous to come out in the open at that time.I wonder if they were written by the disciples or someone recording them then attributing them to the disciples after they died.If they only knew how famous and influential they have become!!! 
Name: Elizabeth  •  Date: 04/29/07 5:19

Just wanted to add some more info I found concerning the "eye of God" and its connection with Masonic ritual.

It symbolizes the omnipresence and omniscience of God, who watches over all things. It is also associated with the Trinity (which the triangle
symbolizes in itself). A Renaissance example of it appears above Christ's head in the Supper of Emmaus painted for the Carthusians in 1525. The symbol has been connected with Masonic ritual, probably because medieval masons' guilds were foten dedicated to the Holy Trinity. In the 18th and 19th centuries it was used in Courts of Justice to remind judges of their responsibilities. The Eye of God appeared above the altar of the St. Aloysius church in London, which was built by French Catholics in 1808 but destroyed in World War II.

An interesting painting:
Eye of God in Supper at Emmaus by Jacopo Pontormo, 1525. Uffizi, Florence.

Also, Eye of God on the facade of a church in Leiden, the Netherlands

"The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous." (Psalms 34:15)
"The eyes of the Lord are in every place." (Proverbs 15:3)

Luke 11:34
The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil,
thy body also is full of darkness.

Blessings, ED 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/29/07 14:40
A: I'ts also on our dollar bill. 
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 01/22/08 4:55
A: Her name was Nino. Saint Nino.
Her cross was called the Grapevine cross.

Looks like a kind of 'stading-up' sword.

Or, a chevron.

Also known as a "Grapevine cross" and traditionally ascribed to Saint Nino, the 4th-century female baptizer of the Georgians, it is used as a symbol of the Georgian Orthodox Church.
The Grapevine Cross (Georgian: ჯვარი ვაზისა, Jvari Vazisa) also known as the Georgian cross or Saint Nino's cross, is a major symbol of the Georgian Orthodox Church, dating from the 4th century AD, when Christianity became an official religion in the kingdom of Iberia (Kartli).

It is recognisable by its horizontal arms drooping a little. Traditional accounts credit Saint Nino, a Cappadocian woman who preached Christianity in Iberia (Georgia) early in the 4th century, with this unusual shape of the Georgian cross. The legend has it that she received the grapevine cross from the Virgin Mary or, alternatively, she forged it herself on the way to Mtskheta) and secured it by entwining with her own hair. Nino came with this cross on her mission to Georgia. The familiar representation of that cross, with its peculiar drooping arms, did not apprear until the early modern era, however. 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 01/25/08 16:35
A: Hi Indie,
Interesting facts about St.Nino. I just looked up some information on Wikipedia.

I believe that the chevron and circle were carved on the entrance of the Talpiot tomb and quite possibly on some of the others during the 1st century B. C. until the destruction of Jeruselem during the 1st century A.D. 
Name: Anchorite  •  Date: 02/02/08 2:40
A: Hopefully Jesus tatooed his REAL message onto his very own bones. 

Jesus of Nazareth Mary Magdalene: Mariamne Early Christianity
Copyright 2024© Jesusfamilytomb.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

Design and Marketing by TalMor Media

Link To Us Spread The Word Debate and Discussion Buy DVD